Wednesday, November 15, 2006

FOOD FOR THOUGHT FOR THE HOLIDAYS

Welcome! My favourite time of the year and also one of my favourite past times . . . . . . . . . . . COOKING! If you look at my personal profile, you will see collecting old cook books is one of my favourite things.



Because I work full time, I like to put my all in cooking on the weekends. It helps when you have a husband who so appreciates food. He is a skinny thing but somehow manages to pack it away.


Keep checking out this site because I will continue to publish some recipes, some of which are my personal recipes. I will identify these to you. Some will be my mom's recipes and some will be that my sisters have passed on to me. My mother is from Quebec so some recipes are of the french Quebecoise tradition.


French Quebecoise Tradition - Le Reveillon


There are six children in our family . . . four girls and two boys. When we were growing up, mom and dad used to do the "Santa" thing where you wake up in the morning and Santa had come by in the night. After none of us believed in Christmas anymore, mom and dad started "Le Reveillon" tradition. Celebrations go on during the night. We used to open our presents at midnight. We used to eat our big meal in the night. We used to go to bed in the morning instead. My mom really enjoyed these special times because it reminded her of when she was a little girl.



My first recipe to share will be a beverage which is usually what we start with at a gathering (celebration). It is very good, festive and even thirst quenching.

CRANBERRY ORANGE BLISS PUNCH

Ingredients:
1 pouch (13.4 g) crystal light tangerine grapefruit low calorie drink mix
3 cups cold water
2 cups orange juice
2 cans (355 ml each) club soda
2 cups frozen cranberries


Directions:
Dissolve drink kmix in water and orange juice
Add club soda and cranberries just before serving

Adults:
Stir in 1 cup champagne or white wine to add flare to this delicious punch.

Subsitute:
Subsitute crystal light strawberry-orange banada calorie drink mix for crystal light tangerine grapefruit calorie drink mix. Enjoy!

****************************

Following the beverages theme, here is another most favorite drink that is traditional during the holidays.

Exquisite Egg Nog

4 eggs separated

1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 cup brandy (optional)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 cups homogenized milk

1/4 teaspoon salt

Nutmeg

In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and light. Gradually beat in sweeteened ondensed milk, brandy, vanilla, milk and salt. In a small bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks; gently fold into sweetened condensed milk mixture. Chill. Pour into chilled bowl or serving cups. Garnish with a dollop of fresh whipped cream topped with a sprinkle of nutmeg. Yum Yum!

*************************************

Now here is a site for you to visit and start your own cook book collection! The recipes in this book are for those who go out for dinner and wish they could try the same recipe at home.








Click Here!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shakespeare wrote: "If music be the food of love, play on.". Is that why you have posted a recipe on your blog on music? Interesting.
http://poojyan-poojyam.blogspot.com

Music Note said...

Thank you. Music and food are my two most favorite past times and deserve to have a home on the same blog. But . . . I am new (Oct 12) at blogging and will attempt to organize a little better. Read on and pass on my blog.

Him said...

Very nice...I also like food, and am somewhat of an amateur chef (my mother is an actual chef). Thanks for commenting on my blog...it makes me happy when people do that.

Danielle said...

Thank you for sharing with us. Your content is very well written and draws one's attention.
I am considering attempting French Quebecoise Tradition - Le Reveillon myself it sounds so much fun. I am linking to your page from my blog www.taureandevi.blogspot.com.

Best wishes